Community Arts Development Grants
Community Arts Development (CAD) Grants are awarded in two categories: General Operating and Special Projects.
General Operating Grants
CAD General Operating funds are to be used for the day-to-day operating expenses of the nonprofit arts or cultural organization. Capital expenses are not eligible for CAD funds. A formal application and final report is required. HCCAB Grant Request may not exceed 331/3% of the total revenue, excluding in kind contributions.
Special Project Grants
CAD Special Project funding is to be used for a particular arts event or program, generally in its first year of existence. Applicants need not be an arts organization, though the program for which the application is submitted must be arts or culturally focused. A formal application and final report is required.
HCCAB grant request may not exceed 50% of the total revenue, excluding in kind contributions.
Grant Eligibility Requirements
Any organization receiving CAD grant, either General Operating or Special Project, from the Harford County Cultural Arts Board:
- Must have been incorporated in Maryland as a not-for-profit and have received 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.
- Must be located in Harford County, Maryland. Their projects, exhibitions or events must be carried out in Harford County, Maryland.
- Must submit a "Final Report", both narrative and financial by September 30th of each year. Failure to file a Final Report will result in:
1. Requested return of the grant funds for that year;
2. Forfeit of the awarded grant funds for the coming year, and;
3. The inability to request funding in the future without the completion of the Final Report.
- Must give credit for grants to the Maryland State Arts Council and the Harford County Government in brochures, new releases, programs, publications and other publicity materials. When no written material is used, verbal recognition must be given. Suggested wording: "This program has been assisted by grants from the Maryland State Arts Council and the Harford County Government through the Harford County Cultural Arts Board."
- May not use funds for capital improvements or purchases of permanent equipment.
- May not apply for funds for unfinished special projects that have received prior funding from the Community Arts Development Grant Program through the Harford County Cultural Arts Board.
- Must maintain complete and accurate records of all activities connect with the grant.
- Must notify the HCCAB coordinator in writing if a significant change is made in any HCCAB-funded program of project.
- Must comply with Title VI, Section 601, of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which states that no persons, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination related to, the arts.
- Must comply with Title IV, Section 1681, of the Education Amendments of 1972, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Section 6101, which prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex or age.
Must comply with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which states that no otherwise qualified person shall, solely by reason of his or her handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination related to, the arts.
The Cultural Arts Board does not award grants to individuals.
CAD Application Procedures
1. CAD Grant applications are made available in early February and will be advertised through the local media.
2. The APPLICATION DEADLINE is no later than 5:00 P.M. APRIL 8, 2013. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. There will be no exceptions. (An appeal process is available,upon request)
3. Organizations may apply for a General Operating and/or a Special Project Grant. Separate applications are required for each grant request.
4. All CAD Grants much must submitted through the E-grant system.
5. For a General Operating Grant- the HCCAB grant request may not exceed 1/3 (33-1/3 %) of the total revenue, excluding in-kind contributions. For a Special Project Grant the HCCAB Grant request may not exceed 50% of the total revenue, excluding in kind contributions.
6.Applications must be signed. Send a signed copy to the HCCAB office by April 15th.
7. Applicants who have received grants from the HCCAB within the last three years for a General Operating Grant, please refer to the previous year's grant Final Report, when computing new grant applications. This will insure consistent and accurate figures.
8. Please be certain that all budgets are totaled correctly. Incorrect figures will cause your application to be returned for corrections.
9. Any questions should be directed to the HCCAB Coordinators at 410-638-3578 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The members of the Cultural Arts Board review the applications in April and May, and the final award determination is made in June when the HCCAB’s actual funding level is known. Notification of the amount awarded is sent to applicants in July along with a contract stating all grant requirements. This contract must be signed and returned to the Cultural Arts Board; no payments will be sent until the contract is returned. Grant monies will be distributed in two installments. The first installment of 75% of the total grant awarded will be sent in September. The remaining 25% of the total grant will be sent the following February.